DTHT Episode 16 - Lessons From Adam Carolla
Welcome to Do The Hard Thing Episode 16. I am Jason Archer… creator, freedom seeker, leader of self | full time student and part time teacher of self mastery, and today is all about what I learned from Adam Carolla.
So, turn up the volume, put down the distractions and let’s kick this off…
[NOTE: Insert some intro music here | Insert brief description here]
Have you ever started down a path to create something meaningful in your life, and for whatever reason found yourself not moving toward the outcome you claim to want… And no matter the situation, part of you simply refused to move. This podcast is born from idea. Do The Hard Thing is an exploration in human movement.
INSIDE TODAY’S EPISODE…
“Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking our potential.”
– Winston Churchill
★ Adam Tells His Story
- Thought his job was pretty insulated from economic conditions.
- He lost is million dollar radio contract with KLSX when the economy went bad back in 2007-2008
- Needed to find a way to create a new income stream and decided to spend 8 or 9 grand a month on storage and bandwidth.
- Enter: podcasting before it was all the rage, before the endorsements, before monetization, before he knew he could even make a buck he was heavily investing in an unproven platform… with both his money and his time.
- The Adam Carolla Show becomes the most downloaded podcast in the world.
★ The 3 Things That Continually Show Up In Success Stories
- Some trial or event takes place to cause one to HAVE to learn and grow or fend for one’s self
- Heavy investment of one’s time, money and energy to get the thing off the ground.
- Consistent work over time with an unshakeable belief in the outcome you want to create.
★ Getting Paid
- Adam asked the question, what can you expect to earn from a job you show up to once a week?
- Too many people want to be paid for results that don’t exist.
- If you want to monetize what it is you do, you can not treat it like a hobby.
- Once a week is not enough… how about everyday you show up for the job you want to get paid for?
- None of this guarantees your success. You may do all these things and get nothing in return, but not doing these things guarantees your failure.
//THE HARD TRUTH
You have to treat anything you want to monetize like a job that requires you to show up on a daily basis and create daily results. Once a week gets you once a week pay… little or nothing.
//ASK AND APPLY
Ask yourself this: Where in your life are you giving “one day a week effort” and expecting “overtime” results?
Once you have your answer, it’s time to do the hard thing.
Apply the concept: Come up with at least one way you can use what you just learned to create a larger more focused effort toward your outcome… and without waiting, put it into action.
That’s it for today! Thank you for listening, and if you found value in this message be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, Castbox, or Stitcher | Share this with those you know need to hear it on social | And I’ll see you back here in the next episode | This is Jason Archer signing off | Now… go, and DO THE HARD THING.